Logo

volvo aq131a

Corey Mitchell

Hi all,

I have a 1988 Volvo Penta AQ131a with a V/P 275 outdrive. I apologize in advance for asking these questions, but gas engines are new to me.

I just bought this boat, and upon inspection noticed that the coolant reservoir in heat exchanger was bone dry. I put coolant in, and watched it drip out of the bellows in the outdrive. It seems that there are two bellows, one on top of the other, and the smaller bellows (the one on the bottom) was the one that it dripped out of. I didn't see any obvious leaks in or around the motor other than from the outdrive, and it seems to be a hole in the bellows in one of the folds. I have been reading that the hole may be there intentionally as a drain, but I don't think that it is supposed to be draining coolant. What could cause this?

Any and all help appreciated.

Bottom bellows is the exhaust pipe, it is manufactured with a small hole to allow water to drain when boat is out of the water.

Post pictures of you engine.

Thanks for all your help guys. The cap that I opened to pour antifreeze in looked like a radiator cap on a car (the smaller one in the picture) I think that the heat exchanger is bad, so I am off to look for one.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all your help guys. The cap that I opened to pour antifreeze in looked like a radiator cap on a car (the smaller one in the picture) I think that the heat exchanger is bad, so I am off to look for one.

Thanks again!

not so fast...
when putting water into the radiator cap you are filing the block. if the head gasket is leaking or the head is cracked, the water can go out the exhaust.
so
separate the heat exchanger from engine and test both.

Here's your AQ131A

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-cat-7744650.aspx

8738.jpg

Back