Logo

1962 omc 480

Paul Brabant

Acquired a 1962 OMC 17 Deluxe with original 480 power plant model DU-10S was a barn find and yes the mice had moved in to cylinder #1 from the lower unit being left in the up position. Need to know if a power head from a 1962 Starflite IV 75 hp or any v4 from that era would work.
Appreciate any help as the boat is in really great shape. And this was the first of generation one sterndrives.

Well the carburetors and mounting of them were much different that the 62 outboard model.-----------The 64 90 hp might be the closest if you can / know how to fit pieces of different blocks together.

Thanks , hoping to pull the power head off today just to see how it breaks down and what I could do with it , but I have a feeling parts will be tough to find.

Tested some of those boats way back in the late 60's and would go no faster than 32 mph.--------One of them was converted to a 115 hp outboard and would do 39 mph.

Oh well it was 1962 , 30 mph will be great for me just a nostalgic runabout and a blast from the past. I don't believe that bullet nose drive would take a whole lot more power than the eighty hp.
I take from missing oil pump and blocked off oil tank that their oil injection did not fare out well and went back to mixing fuel. Any thoughts to seal these carb floats so they deal with ethanol in fuel now.

Back