Logo

Crusader G M 454/350, 1985, correct installation of oil lines for engine and transmission

Scott Korff

I purchased a boat with Crusader twin GM 454 cu in / 350 hp with Velvet transmissions. I want to verify the correct connection of the Oil cooling lines for the engine and transmission.

ok...what specifically, do you want to know?

The basic scheme is the gear is cooled by the STBD leg of the U cooler and the engine oil by the port side, assuming inline velvet drives. The way the factory hose ends were made, its very hard to mess up the plumbing in that area...

I am looking for the exact connection of the oil lines to the engine and transmission. For example, the oil cooling line on the top of the cooler goes to the fitting on the top of transmission or lower fitting on the transmission? The oil cooling line on the top of the cooler goes to which fitting on the engine? Photos or schematics would be great. Thanks

check out the parts views at marine part source dot com (without the spaces)...they have most of the parts breakdowns on-line

I don't think you can reverse the transmission cooler connections based on how the lines are made. You can reverse the engine oil cooler lines that go to the remote oil filter adaptor (don't ask how I know). The short line from the adaptor on the engine goes to the remote filter connection that is closest to the center line of the engine. If reversed you will not get oil pressure.

Your oil cooler is a bit different than my 270s but just completed installing all new components on both of my new engines and the top cooler line went to the bottom fitting of the transmission and bottom cooler line went to the top transmission fitting. HTH.

Back