Logo

Zerk fittings on outdrive

footbrake

Contributing Member
On my Volvo-Penta 290 duo/prop outdrive, I see on each side is a zerk fitting. I want to grease those before putting it in but didn't know what type of grease to use. Also should I take the cover off the shift cover and put some type of lube or grease on the shift linkage itself. thanks-Russ

On my Volvo-Penta 290 duo/prop outdrive, I see on each side is a zerk fitting. I want to grease those before putting it in but didn't know what type of grease to use.
I have a reason for asking you to post a picture pointing to these!

Also should I take the cover off the shift cover and put some type of lube or grease on the shift linkage itself.
No!

thanks-Russ

Yes, any fitting at the exterior can be lubricated.

There are also two potential areas on the inside of the transom shield that serve as a hydraulic force to remove the cylinder base pins.

While not strictly the shift linkage of the drive, I shift into fwd, slide the rubber boot off the housing of the shift cable a bit, and put a thin coat of waterproof grease on the whole extended shift cable ( after cleaning it). I shift it F/N/R a few times and slide the boot back onto the cable housing. Keeps critters off the shift cable if you leave your boat unused for any length of time.

Back