Logo

15hp bogging down and dieing under load

I guess the emulsifier tube must be stuck in place because it doesn't just come out, any idea what I can use to try to get it out?

I got the emulsifying tube out, just used a flat screwdriver and pushed it down from the venturi, it looks clean and all of the holes in it are clear. I will try the sandpaper, and new gasket when I reinstall it

Installed new #80 pilot jet and sanded the card face/installed new gasket on it. Fired it up in the barrel and I think I might have fixed it. The idle mixture screw is working how it should now, max rpm is between 1 and 2 turns out. Also the plugs look a lot better a darker tan color. I need to get it to the lake to test it out, because I can't get anywhere near full throttle in the barrel. I'll report back after I get it in the lake, might be a week or two.

I finally got to take the boat to the lake today, and I think I have fixed the lean running problem. I didn't have any of the bogging down and it ran very smooth and didn't act like it was running lean anymore. I do think I have a separate problem with it though, it doesn't seem like it is making as much power as it should, it's not any more powerful than my 86 evinrude 9.9, it might even be a little less powerful. It should be noticeably more powerful shouldn't it? It also doesn't sound like it's getting into as high of revs as I would expect it to, although that is pretty subjective i guess.

I can't find any numbers on the prop, I will take it off and measure it this week. I also ordered a tachometer, and will report back with rpm numbers next time I get it to the lake. Should I start a new thread, since I think I fixed the original problem on this thread?

Back