Logo

No oil pressure MD11c

geneb

I am trying to track down a no oil pressure condition which occurred at the end of last season just prior to hauling and winterizing an MD11C.
Engine was running fine on that day with usual oil pressure readings. Engine was shut down for about two hours. Engine started readily, got no oil pressure condition. I have both an oil pressure gauge and an Aqualarm. Both indicated no pressure. Shut engine down. Checked electrical system on both. Shows no fault. Boat was hauled and winterized (engine off).
Yesterday, tracking down problem, found loose oil strainer. I understand any air leakage here will cause lack of pressure. Made sure strainer was tight and sealed properly.
I have a mechanical oil pressure test gauge to test actual pressure at sender location.
A couple of questions:
When I test the pressure, should I expect to get any reading at starter motor cranking speed? If memory serves me correctly, my gauge registered and the Aqualarm shut down only after the engine was running (I think the Aqualarm needs about 10 lbs to silence).
If I start the engine to see of pressure is restored how long can I safely let the engine run? I assume it should not have to run more than about ten to 15 seconds to see if pressure is present.
Is there any chance that the oil pump could have lost the prime? If so, is there a simple way to restore the prime?
TIA for your help.

Back