Logo

water pump problems

rd238

I have an 86 60 Hp. Johnson and I replaced the water pump. Since I have reinstalled my lower unit and made sure my tube was inside the water pump it will not pump water up through the motor. I have made sure the tube was not blocked by blowing air up through the tube and it came out the little hose fine. What could be the problem really aggravated in Ky.

Im fairly new to the boating/outboard motor world but I had a similar issue on a '97 30 hp evinrude yesterday. I found 2 issues.....

#1 - I went to Walmart and bought a set of muffs that I could hook up to the garden hose. Didn't pump water, so I figured the impeller was bad. Im going to reseal the gear box shortly and have purchased some of the parts so I can work on it as a winter project, the water pump was one of the items I had on hand. I quickly put the new propeller in the water pump housing that was on the unit, reinstalled, put the muffs on...... Nothing..... Took it back off, checked the propeller housing, it was fine, cleaned everything up, lubed the "O" Rings and reinstalled and realized, in my rush, I installed the propeller backwards the first time....... Again, Im new at this, but I will learn to check and double check...... Re installed everything...... Nothing!!

Went back to reading and poking..... I did find the tube coming out of the engine plugged, cleaned that out, ..... Nothing..... Back to the internet......

Problem #2...... THE MUFFS!!!! I read a few post on different forums that said muffs don't work like submersion in a tank. I searched and searched and couldn't find a tank big enough around my house till I moved my huge sears wet vac several times then realized that the base of that would work. Took it out, laid some boards down to set the tank on to get the water level up high enough, filled it with water, started the engine and VIOLA!!!! Spit water within a few seconds of starting....... Muffs will be hung on the wall and never used again.......

Back