Logo

1977 Johnson Javelin 85hp

devo1026

Hi gang, I am new to this group. This is my 2nd season with my boat. So far so good. Getting ready to change the oil in the lower unit and have a couple questions. Motor is a 77 javelin v4 85hp.

What at kind of oil do I get and where ?
How much goes in ? (That was the main question)
Should I fill it from the bottom?

i can't seem to find an owner's manual for this motor but I've watched several videos. Any tips will be appreciated. She got new plugs, fresh gas, and a full inspection of lines and fuses. I kept it covered and garaged and was flawless on the water last weekend.

Any info would be greatly appreciated ! thanks

Ryan. - Amateur boater

You fill the oil from the bottom.------------Use HY-VIS gear oil.------Fill till it comes out the top hole ~ 30 ounces.

i prefer lower unit oil from the dealer...its a once a year thing so a couple bucks extra dont matter..fill it from the bottom til it runs out the upper hole..put the top screw in with a new rubber washer and then remove the pump or whatever you are filling it from and put the bottom screw in with a new washer..

i prefer lower unit oil from the dealer...its a once a year thing so a couple bucks extra dont matter..fill it from the bottom til it runs out the upper hole..put the top screw in with a new rubber washer and then remove the pump or whatever you are filling it from and put the bottom screw in with a new washer..

thanks ! I appreciate ya

Back