Logo

1978 Evinrude 140 wont start

harmons82

I recently cleaned my carb and put a new kit in my 1978 Evinrude 140. I also, replaced the fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carburetor. Now I cannot get my engine to start. If I squirt a little premixed gas in the carb, it fires right up and runs like a champ. I can then shut it down and start it right back up. But, if I let it sit for a day and go to start it again, it wont pop. Primer ball stays hard as a rock. What could be my issue?

If you squirt fuel in it starts right up.----That sure points directly at the choke not functioning properly.----Are choke flappers closing when you activate the choke solenoid ?

If it were the choke that was the issue, wouldn't you expect it to at least seem to fire a bit just not enough to start, instead of just continuously rolling over?

???-------You say it fires up with a bit of fuel sprayed into the throats.-------It seems you refuse to believe it could be a choke or fuel in the carburetor issue ???

The only reason why I struggle to believe it would be a choke issue is because I can see the the choke, so I know that is working. However I will try manually turning it on so there is no doubt.

Could it be a collapsed or kinked fuel line in the portion I replaced? Only part that doesn't make sense to me on that,is the fact that it runs well once I spray gas in the throats to get it started. I can't check that until tomorrow but has me thinking.

Last edited:
My appologies to you guys for not being a believer. You were spot on, it was the choke. I didnt have my linkage between the upper and lower carbs set correctly, so it was preventing it from closing fully. Many thanks to you. I now have another issue. I can see some brass filings on the top of my starter. Is that an alignment issue?

Back