Logo

L6 with water in oil

Dracosix9

I have gm 250 L6 that is taking on water in the oil pan under all working conditions. At idle, WOT, cold, and hot. Pulled the manifold and I see no oil journals into it so I suspect this is not where the issue is coming from, did find that the manifold gasket was cracked at the #2/3 and #4/5 exhaust ports to atmosphere. Pulled valve cover, rocker arms, and push rods to prep for head removal as I suspect a cracked head gasket at the oil and water journals. As I was loosening off the head bolts for removal and I noticed the two between cylinders 2/3 and 3/4 on the push rod side were significantly looser the then rest. Had to use a 24" breaker on the rest and a ratchet with a little effot was enough for those two. Wondering if this could have led to enough lift on the center of the head to allow water out of the cooling jacket and into the oil. Haven't gotten the head off yet as it is stuck to the block and I didn't have enough time to take it off nicely tonight.

P.S. as a side note this engine is supposed to take 4.5qrts of oil with the filter and I have only been getting about 2qrts, to the full line on the dipstick, in and out with the oil change/flushes I have been doing. Not seeing any sludge coming out even when the engine was drained while at temp so not sure. And ideas for this one also?

Ayuh,.... Head gaskets don't dump water into the oil,.... Cracked busted blocks from freezin' does,....

Back