Logo

1997 Force 75HP Starting Problem

ko4nrbs

Regular Contributor
It's a 1997 Model 1997 75ELPT Serial Number OE251480 Force 75 HP. It starts fine when warm but when cold very difficult to start. Yesterday after several failed attempts to start it my brother placed his hand over the carburetor throat and it started right up!! After it warmed up no problem starting it. I suspected an Electric Choke problem. Looking at the exploded parts diagram all I can find is a fuel primer so I'll check that. Does the primer only operate during a cold start when you push the key in?
Thank you,
Bill

Last edited:
The primer only works if you push the key in.
Pushing it in once and it won't work as well as keeping it held in.
You can use the primer/choke anytime.
You have the manual or owners manual.
It should have starting procedures in there.

you should be able to remove the cowl and turn the key to the run position with the engine not starting and push the key in and hear the primer solenoid pick...another way to tell if it is working is to get the motor warmed up and smoothed out and press the key in...it should try and flood the engine..

The primer works when pushed in. It gives a squirt of extra fuel for each push in.
The old style choke worked as long as the key is pushed in.

The Fuel Primer solenoid tested out fine. I took the output side tube off the primer and while my wife turned the engine over with the key pushed in fuel pulsed out. After reconnecting the tube the engine fired right up!!

This all began at the ramp when I tried to start the motor. The battery was dead but had been working a week before?? I jumped the starting battery off the trolling motor battery and while it turned the engine over fine it would not start it. My brother finally put his hand over the carburetor throat opening and the motor fired right up. After the motor was warm it would start fine.

I have installed a new starting battery and will see how it goes. I have a full tank of new fuel and use a water separator filter so I am at a loss here.
Bill

If you have a newer radio in the boat??
They can kill the battery?
Or maybe the battery's bad?
Put in a battery switch.
Test for a draw on the battery.
Hook a test light in line on the negative battery cable.
There should be no continuity(light on) when the boats just setting.
If there is? Start pulling fuses till the light goes out.

Back