Logo

1995 25hp Mercury starting/spark problem

fisho92

Hey guys,

A few weeks ago a bought a 4.1m aluminum boat with a 1995 25hp Mercury tiller steer. I noticed sometimes it was hard to cold start even after priming, pulling choke out push in and back out like it says on the motor. Once I get it started and drive to the first fishing spot it will start first pull the rest of the day. Yesterday I decided to go fishing and started the motor cold on the first pull before I left home to make sure it was going to start. Launched the boat and went to start the motor and it kicked over for a few seconds and cut out, 10 pulls later did the same thing. I must of pulled the cord 100 times and it kicked over around 5 times for a few seconds so I pulled the plugs to check for spark and found there was no spark on either plug, I couldnt even feel anything when I held the end of the plug. I did notice the plugs were wet with fuel (flooded) so I wiped them down and tried again, still nothing. Disconnected the kill switch and still nothing. Took the boat home and left it over night. When I check again this morning both plugs had consistent spark and motor started just fine? I don't know a lot about outboards but I'm mechanically minded so I want to know what could be causing this problem and is it worth having a go at it myself?

Wheeew! Sounds like an electronic gremlin in the switch box. Not sure what else would cause that, unless there's a ***** wire somewhere that's touching bare metal now and then.

Jeff

Checked for spark again this morning and it was still good. Started and ran the motor a few times everything was fine. Checked again this afternoon and no spark to either plug?. Could the stator be on it's way out? Is there a write up on how to troubleshoot the stator and/or the ignition system with a multimeter to find out whats faulty?

You can check the stator with your meter, but the switch box requires a sophisticated tester.

I'm thinking switch box since it 'goes away' with heat. Lots of them on eBay relatively cheap.

Jeff

Back