Logo

ground strap location M/C 5.0 0m012817

rick3452

Regular Contributor
Hey guys, having some issue while starting boat only on the "first start" of the day. It just started happening recently and Iv'e tried to track it down. So when I start the engine I get an annoying noise ( not a clunk) but it does start (always) If you shut it right off and restart it make no noise, just starts as normal and even if it sits for couple hours it will restart with no noise.
It seems to be an electrical issue as this morning I pulled all the plugs to see if during the night I was getting water intrusion through my exhaust elbow's. No water signs at all. Now after I "first" start it ( by the way I've always started it it using the switch to both batteries) and I restart a few times using both batteries (no noise) its only when I switch to Batt 1 or Batt 2 then I get the noise...... switch back to both and starts no noise... Ive cleaned the terminals, no wing nuts etc, cleaned the ground post near the batteries and that seemed to help for a bit. Now I'm wondering where the ground is on the engine itself.. I also checked the nut on the starter, nice and tight...batteries fully charged. by the way I've had the boat four years and use it every day. 1550 hrs.
Each Battery reads 12.79 with voltmeter (eng off) while running 14 +
Any thoughts
Thanks Rick

Last edited:
have you measured the voltage at the starter itself while cranking?compare it to the voltage at the battery post itself while cranking?you will not see a voltage drop if you are not pulling current...

12.7 says the battery is probably good but does not tell you what the battery is doing under load...

Thanks guys....... Turns out one of the starter bolt sheared off and was sitting in the bilge, I think its been three for quite a while. When I got under there I grabbed onto the starter and it was flopping back and forth, I pushed it back in place and tightened the other bolt, tried to start it and it just spun, I think all the teeth sheared off. Now I have a broken bolt in the block, I'm thinking I'll have to have the motor pulled....

I was going to suggest that the starter may be loose as that is what your description sounded like..........lol

remove the starter and maybe you can get to the remaining stud and simply unscrew it. There should be no reason it will come out easily.

maybe even a strong magnet and spin it might work..."might"....

either way there is no force on the remaining stud so it should unscrew easy

If the ring gear on the flywheel is damaged then yes.
Jack, thanks.... I pulled the starter out this morning and got all the "necessary" stuff to remove the broken bolt in the block. Angle adapter, Left hand bits ETC.... NO GO I tried for an hour + starting with a 1/8 bit, (not even a dent) But I have perfect pictures of the flywheel and there is NO ring-gear just flywheel........ I have an appointment next week to pull the motor! damn I was sooo close....

you mean there were no teeth at all on the flywheel????

If that is so then the ring gear came off. I cant imagine that all the teeth got stripped

Sorry Jack!!! Flywheel has ALL its teeth and they all look perfect..... I had a friend spin the motor at the crank once around and everything was good. I guess I thought there was a separate ring gear I tried to post the picture of flywheel but was unable.

By the way I'm from Milford MA and also on the Camaro 5 Forum

UPDATE Yesterday I was determined to get that bolt out! I still tried a few left hand bits and put as much pressure as I could being upside down in the shape of a pretzel and had no luck. So I decided to just drill out the bolt starting with several 1/4 inch bits, then 3/8 Then I finally reamed It out as far as I could with the correct bit to tap a 7/16th thread for the new size bolt. Put the new O.E.M starter on, bolted it up started it several times and all is good!
It now starts so quiet, I guess its been going for a while. Thanks for all your suggestions..... Rick

Back