Logo

6h.p. impeller pin installation

1958sparky

i'm replacing impeller on 2004 4stroke 6 horse. the shaft has a flat spot on it, but the kit comes with a needle shaped pin.
how does it go together? if there was a pin when i pulled it apart, i lost it. it must need something to keep it from spinning on the shaft.
what am i missing? the seloc manual does not explain. any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

i'm replacing impeller on 2004 4stroke 6 horse. the shaft has a flat spot on it, but the kit comes with a needle shaped pin.
how does it go together? if there was a pin when i pulled it apart, i lost it. it must need something to keep it from spinning on the shaft.
what am i missing? the seloc manual does not explain. any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

What kind of motor is it? Evinrude, Merc? Sounds to me like you're missing the plastic key that goes against the flat spot on the drive shaft. When you remove the old impeller the key will drop out. Look around where you took it apart.

What kind of motor is it? Evinrude, Merc? Sounds to me like you're missing the plastic key that goes against the flat spot on the drive shaft. When you remove the old impeller the key will drop out. Look around where you took it apart.

it is a2004 merc. when i removed parts i did so on cardboard to collect any thing that might drop. never saw anything. also, exploded view of parts shows more of a key not a pin, but when ordered got another pin.
thanx

There is no key. The pin matches the notch in the impeller hub. Place the pin in the middle of the key slot on the driveshaft (hold it in place with some spline grease) and slide the impeller over it.

Catch any fish?

Jeff

PS: Just repaired a customer's Merc. Took so little time I didn't charge him, but asked for some fish when he got some! Barter: that's the thing.

Back