Logo

1999 225 fuel issue

surrfit

Hello all,
I just bought a 1988 24' Intuder that has been re-powerd with a 1999 225 2 stroke fuel injected merc outboard. The first time I took it out for a test run I was about two miles along when the motor just died, no sputter or slow down it was like the key was turned off. I turned the key and it started right back up then a few miles later same thing. It ran fine for the rest of the trip about ten miles. I figured it was just because the boat had been sitting for a year. The next week I was headed out for a day long trip and 30 miles into it the same thing started again but this time it got worse to the point where I opened the bilge to find the prime bubble sucked flat. I have not had a chance to check it out yet so besides the obvious, clogged fuel filter, any thing else I should look for? The was just in the shop for a once over and it got a clean bill of health,
Thanks,
Jeff.

Where is the anti siphon valve located? Thanks for the reply.

In is usually in the fitting going inside the top of the fuel tank. You usually need to remove the fuel hose and unscrew the fitting and you will see a ball with a spring inside the fitting and that is the valve

Most boats built for outboards don't have an anti=siphon valve.
The low pressure pump isn't strong enough to pull past the valve.
IF?? the hoses are old??? There's a possibility the Ethanol in the fuel has made the inside of the hose soft, mushy
and it's squeezing the hose cause it's too soft.

Thank you for all the input fellow boaters. I removed the pick up from the gas tank, no anti siphon valve just a 90 degree brass fitting to the hose that goes to the water seperator then to the motor. The line comming from the tank was deteriorating it looked like pieces of plastic shredded in the line. I bought all new fuel line and "stainless" hose clamps I don't know why anyone would put steel clamps on a marine application. Now I noticed that when the key is on the battery gage is in the middle and when I start the motor it peggs to the left, the motor runs fine. I just bought the boat on the 3rd and the guy I bought it from is a friend from work that has all the maintanence records however the boat had not bee out on the water for a year so I am probobly going to come across a few other issues before it's reliable.

Back