Logo

1998 evinrude 150 (105 jet) intermittent tach

northwest

Hi,hoping somebody can help answer a few questions. My tach has been intermittent...although it is working now. Was thinking maybe rectifier/regulator, charging system problem...ran the boat today at 3000 rpm battery voltage was 18.4 ?? this seems high, does that mean its the regulator? Thanks!

that is too high and will cause tach problems...do you have a regulator or a rectifier only charging system?..did you just put in a new ignition battery?if so what kind?

It is a regulated system (rectifier + regulator). I did change the battery but was having the problem with the old battery as well. The new battery is a napa marine maintenance free 1000 cranking amps. I plan on checking how many amps are coming from the regulator (suppose to be 23 at 1000rpm) but this whole work thing is getting in the way!

i would address the voltage problem..the amperage will take care of itself when that is fixed...a charging system is putting out dc with a ripple..it is not filtered down to a flat line dc..your tach is driven off these pulses...a tach cutting up will normally be the first indication that a rectifier only or a regulator is going bad..if the problem is ignored then one day you will look at your meter and see battery voltage only... the charging system is shot at that point....

the good thing,if there is one,is that you do not use the regulator output to run the motor...

Ok thanks guys! Next question, i recieved the new regulator.....same part number...but instead of a gray and purple wire it only has the gray? The guy from where i ordered it says its an upgraded part and just connect it gray to gray and dont worry about the purple? But the purple also goes to the tach with the gray? Any ideas?

The new regulator doesn't require the purple wire to turn it on. The purple wire that went to the old regulator, just tape the end of it up.

Back