Logo

67 60hp V4 no spark.

Asmodaues

Im working on a 1967 alumacraft with a 60753a 60hp V4 evinrude outboard. Battery-points style ignition. The boat sat for several yrs so im going through before putting on the water. New fuel pump and carb kits have been ordered as well.

Ive done quite extensive work on this boat to date but cannot get spark from the coil.

I had to replace the original harness due to it being chopped and repaired. I took alot of care hooking up the new wires correctly to their proper locations.

I have installed a car coil due to mine being cracked. Its a 64 Mercury comet coil. 12v for use with external resistor and i bought a 1.35ohm resistor wire since i redid my wires. I purchased a condensor to match the coil as well. Battery is new this year, 650 ca marine battery.

I have 12volts to the coil + wire without the resistor and 6v with it hooked up, but i get no spark from it.

Last edited:
Put your voltmeter on the coil post (-) that connects to the points. Slowly turn the motor over. Voltage should alternate between battery voltage and zero as the points open and close. If it doesn't, fix the points.

I want to deeply thank everyone for their input and ideas. I was able to finally start the boat tonight after fighting it for a week. It turned out I had a wire hooked up wrong and it was grounding the coil and not allowing spark.

Back