Logo

Juice

freddierabbit

Hi
Have a 90hp Nissan
Been sitting for about 6 months.
Will a standard battery work in it until I sell the boat?

Also
Hooked on the positive and negative is a small square box, this is for the trim I think.
Positive has 2 positive wires and 2 negative wires coming off the positive post and then 2 wires to the negative box.
Is there a way to temporary bypass these boxes?

a standard battery will work so long as its big enough to handle the motor..

i have no idea what the little box is...maybe someone can chime in with some knowledge on it...id there any kind of labeling on it?

you were here with a still open thread on this engine a month ago?you never got back to us on the last attempt to help you...

Thanks pappyson, son bought a standard battery for it and was wondering if it would do until I sell the boat.

Sorry about the open one
used 1 battery going to the motor, all the accessories worked ok on the other side.
I throw the weird curved up red cables in my boat parts tool box in one of the storage boxes. Everything working ok..

How do I close one?

Apologize for all the questions I just don’t understand outboards.

I have a very frustrating problem; I’m trying to figure out.
First my brother had the batteries checked and not any of them were good. He pulled the boat down from up north of me with no batteries in it, so I’m stuck hooking things up.

Every wire in the battery comports are black, even the cables that hook to the positive and negative to the battery, the big fat ones going to the engine, guess sometime over the years someone rewired it all and used all black wires. That’s my problem, trying to trace them all. I take it that the engine needs to be running to find some place to connect them to.

First I’m trying to trace which battery cable goes to what on the engine, their in cased in a rubber sheath that looks like they cut the clamps off and must have used something like a set of jumper cables for this.

If without a battery in the boat, can I hook up a set of jumper cables to the positive and negative cables along with the two small ones I think go to the key to a dual battery diesel pickup, will this set up work to start the outboard?

Last edited:
you bought a battery so you have a new one...why the consideration of jumping from another vehicle? ..you just need the one you bought but you must make sure it is fully charged....you do not want 24 volts from 2 batteries in series to connect to this motor...

i have no idea which wire is which if the wiring color code has been changed... each wire has to be traced to see where it goes..if the negative and positive to the battery are reversed you will blow the regulator for sure..if there is any voltage applied to the kill switch wire then you will blow the power pack(s)..other exposures..all expensive..

have you looked closely to make sure the cables going to the battery are not marked in some way to indicate positive or negative?

you may be better off taking the motor to a shop and let someone look at the wiring and tell you what is what and doing some labeling..

if you have a multimeter and you do know for sure which 2 big wires are from the motor and go to the battery then you should read zero ohms or very close to it from the end of the wire to ground on the motor....any place thats not painted on the head...of the motor...the other wire should read zero to the input to the starter solenoid...make sure your meter is on rx1...the wire that reads to ground should go on the negative battery post..the one that reads to the solenoid should go to positive...
e

Hi
This week end I split the sheath on the two battery cables and uncovered the two of them, I think I found out each one is which when I followed them after that.
Just hope the one going to the coil, square black box mounted on the side of the engine, is the positive?
The other is bolted to the block like a negative would be, then hooked to a little small silver thing and then goes to the coil.
This any progress?

yes...the one going to ground is the negative..the black square box is your starter solenoid?

in my opinion you got a mess that someone has rewired and then sold....you dont know what you got...if you got it cheap and nothing to lose keep playing with it...it was bought as a non running motor....if it looks good and you get it to turn over good then check compression first to decide if its worth fooling with or needs to be sold as a parts motor..you can spend a lot of money and still be looking at a piece of junk.....

Hi papyson
I ame to having the boat because my dad left it to me. I'm not sure if he did the wiring or someone else for him. He bought the setup brand new in 95 and never had a problem with it that I know of. It was all running and everything else was working when it was parked back in November of 2014.
Taking me some time but Im diabled and it gives me something to do to cut some of the bordem on my good days.

As I been tracing wires, when I find one that I'm pretty sure is a positive I paint the end with some red nail polish.
keep finding a few a day, will get it some day and make some nice dollars I hope. All I been offered so far is$900.00 like it is.

Slowly getting there, traced 6 more wires yesterday.

Oh, took a lot of searching, but found out what the little red and black boxes that you hook to your battery to:

Johnny Red Electrical accessories.

“Designed specifically to clean up the tangled mess of accessory wiring at the battery.
Our Battery Terminals are perfect for wiring in on-board charging systems, or with any other wiring application that attaches at the battery. When our terminals are removed from the battery post, they secure every wire within the terminal and cover, and prevents wrong polarity post installation upon re-connection.”

Doing something right by taking my time. All wires traced, every thing working find, motor turning strong, just got to figure out why not starting.

Back