Logo

1988 Mercury 175 idling problem, won't run just right

dgreenlee28

I have 1988 Mercury 175 that I just got. Initially, it wouldn't idle, smoked excessively, and when revved up, it wouldn't clean out like it should and run crisp. I've checked compression and it was 117-120 on all cylinders. I've cleaned the carburetors, replaced the primer bulb and fuel hose. Replaced spark plugs. Checked spark and it all seems good. Even squeezed the primer bulb while it was running it's still the same. The only thing I can think of would be timing. Does anyone out there have any other ideas? I'm to the point of guessing and I don't want to throw money at this just by guessing.

Rebuild fuel pump, diaphragm might be split and filling crankcase with fuel...

Rebuilt the fuel pump. Fixed idling issue. Now, I have another issue. With no load the motor revs fine. When I put a load on it, it won't get past 1500 RPM before it starts bogging down and will eventually stall.

Went and test ran the boat again today. If I go full throttle and hit the enrichner valve a couple times, the motor will get past the bog and take off and run WOT with no issues. If I don't hit the enrichner valve, it will die. Any ideas?

Sounds like the usual too lean idle mixture screws. Try turning them OUT about 1/4 turn and, if that doesn't do it, add another 1/4 turn.

Jeff

" It don't have any adjustment screws"
If float levels are off it can cause this along with improper sync and link...

Checking float heights tonight. Read the sync and link procedures, but the part about using a dial indicator to set the timing pointer was a little confusing. Is there any simple way to set it?

Back