Logo

321469 Rubber Mount Construction - That's it?

Klink

Regular Contributor
0321469.jpg
On my 1993 Johnson 25hp, the part pictured above #20 on this diagram http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...5RETS&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Midsection , serves as a rubber mount, as a shock absorber for the midsection. Because one of the plates, the forward one, came off the rubber, the outboard can't be engaged in reverse or it wants to come off the the #79 Pilot shaft steering bracket (see link diagram), I guess I need a new one.

I looked at the construction, and do not see what holds the two plates to the middle rubber piece, there is nothing there but a rubber nipple that protrudes out like 1/16", that can hold nothing. Is this piece strictly attached with an adhesive of some type? is that it? What is the adhesive?

It was all molded together while the rubber was still liquid. The rubber "stuck" to the metal as it cured. The little hole in the center of the plate was to let air escape from the mold as the rubber was injected in.

Last edited:
OK, Thanks everyone. I did hit a log running at idle speed, but the engine was not locked down. I think it just unsnapped from age. Will replace it all. Once again thank you all for your time.

Just got the part, it is made in China. The first part for my three 1990's Johnson's that was made in China. Not good, the Chinese make lousy rubber, let's see how long it lasts. If I had known I would rather have bought a used part that was made in USA or Mexico.

China..... We saved China's ass during WWII.

They stabbed us in the back during the Korean war. No, it was not a police action, it was not a conflict, it was a damn war!

Screw China and the horse they rode in on!

Wish you luck with the new mount.

It Gets Worse

Simple job, installing the China made mount, should take 15 minutes, NOT! I had to install and take apart the job 5 times before I figured that I had to file down one of the forward slots on the rubber mount to get the last machine screw to go in. The slot was off by 1/16", just enough so that it blocked the last screw from going in. At least the piece is aluminum and easy to file down. 5x the labor to do the job. Typical Chinese quality control.

l

Last edited:
Back