Logo

1973 25hp evinrude exhaust cover water leak

jr43

I have water leaking by one bolt on the exhaust cover with walleye opener this weekend i was wondering if it will be ok to run until i get new gaskets in or could it damage the motor.

took your advise and made gaskets fixed the leak.went the auto parts today to get new plugs j4c they recommended i run one heat range higher will this hurt or is it ok.

thanks ill just go back and get the j6c plugs I do alot of trolling would it be better to go hotter or just stay with the recommended plugs

ok ill take some spare plugs and give them a try. sorry for all the silly questions Im new to outboards and the ones ive had have been older and given me a lot of troubles. this one is in pretty good condition so im trying to go through it and fix all the small things that I find. hopfull when im done I will have a good dependable motor. thanks for you assistance.

Strictly speaking, the correct plug for that motor is Champion UJ4J, which is a booster gap plug. That was done to help with the problem they had with lug fouling caused by the environmental protection system they used. It pumped the crankcase drainage fuel into the upper cylinder, making it run richer than the lower one. Anyhoo, you probably will have a hard time finding them. J6C probably is the next best choice. This is not the best choice of a motor if you do a lot of slow speed running.

Back