Logo

1975 Evinrude 4hp model 4506 no spark on either plug

radioflyer

Im not getting spark on either plug on this motor. The condition of motor is unknown as I received it this way.

I purchased the repair manual in hopes that it would help me check the ignition system.

I received the manual and all the ignition testing procedures decribe using special test equipment to test the coils and condensers so it doesnt help me much.

Im trying to avoid throwing money at this motor until I can confirm that it is worth it. otherwise I would just buy the coils points and condensers.

Is there a way to test the coils without a special tester?
What should be my first check? Thank You

The only way to check resistances on the coils and see voltages is with a multimeter. You can spend $20 for a cheap meter or spend $60 for coils that may not be the problem.
Get a meter and following the procedure outlined in the manual you have.

Hello Thank you for your reply.

I do have a Multimeter but the service manual does not give test procedure with multi meter.
Does anyone know how to check the coils with Multimeter?

The Manual only refers to tests with specific ignition analyzers none of which I have.
List of Analyzers as listed in manual for reference

Old Stevens tester
New stevens tester Model no. 75
Merc-o-tronic
Graham Tester Model 51

I'm guessing you have a seloc manual? If so, it should give you tests to perform with the multimeter. All the seloc books I have show both.
On the coil, you should see just barely any resistance between the two terminals (positive and ground) on the coil.
Then from the positive terminal of the coil to the end of the plug wire should see around 900 - 1200 ohms.

I looked at the diagram for the motor and do not see any sort of stop button? If you have one, disconnect it and see if you get spark.

The only way to properly check a coil is with one of the analyzers you listed and I've used them all. Maybe you have a local DLR that has one. Ohmmeters do not tell all !!

Last edited:
Back