Logo

1978 starcraft omc stern drive wont start

jameswhitney88

I have completely went through the ignition system all new coil, points, condenser,spark plugs, plug wires and rebuilt the carb, fresh new battery and starter. it will turn over but will not start. I'm at a loss no idea why it doesn't start. Any advice would help thanks

if you sprinkle some fresh gas down the carb will it sputter or try to fire? That would tell you whether the problem is spark or fuel.

Ayuh,.... Ya replaced all those parts in yer 1st post, is any of it Workin',..??

Have ya Checked for spark,..??

Have ya Checked for power at the coil,..??

Have ya looked down the carb, actuated the throttle, 'n seen gas squirt in,..??

My guess is the carb is flooding. Best advice is a new or known good carb. After many tries I have found that a carb that needs rebuilding can never really be brought back to life; marine ones in particular. You need to remove every lead plug and ream every passage and it's just not practical. Sometimes with boats you have to bite the bullet. I mean, you want your boat to work, not to have to work on your boat, right?

There are several passages that have a small hunk of lead (metal) that plugs the end. Ideally you want to take out that plug and clean inside, then plug it up again.

Back