Logo

help motor problems

bowes001

I have a 84-85 merc 18xd. The number is 06617745. If anyone knows how to remove the cranckshaft that would help. Also I just flooded the pistons with marvel because they are froze up and a lot of it came out of the prop???? Please help me!!!!! I don't want to get rid of it

Right. If the crank still won't come out, under the rods (and mark the ends--they do not interchange).

Jeff

Can anyone find me what size the piston rings are please and why does one piston go in and out smoothly but the other gets stuck or won't even go in??

The std bore size is 2.562 for your motor. The sticking piston could be due to a warped cylinder as this is a aluminum hole that is chrome plated and if it gets hot it will warp so have it miked... Also these blocks are bad about exhaust bridge warping and dragging against piston. The bad news is there is no aftermarket piston or rings for that engine unless you find some NOS someone has, if not they will have to come thru a Merc dealer as it uses a special ring for the chrome bore.If any of the chrome plating is or peeled/deep scuffed or flaking the block is junk. I used to bore and sleeve them (have boring bar) but it has become to expensive to do as you can buy a block kit cheaper....

Last edited:
Back