Logo

Piston ring compression tools

Grumpy Bear

Regular Contributor
74 Merc 500 50hp. So, can you reinstall the pistons into the cylinders with standard piston ring compressors (like in the pic?), or do you have to have the special Merc ring compression clamps (pic of three) to get the job done?

Thanks again!
Kevin

piston-ring-compressor.jpgcompressor1.JPG

Last edited:
Those long legged rascals are for Mercs. The band type compressor is far too large in the cramped space available.

I use strips of 1/8 " aluminum about 3/4 wide by 2 inches long and a hose clamp.

Jeff

Those long legged rascals are for Mercs. The band type compressor is far too large in the cramped space available.

I use strips of 1/8 " aluminum about 3/4 wide by 2 inches long and a hose clamp.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. That's a good idea. So, 1/8" thick aluminum is stiff enough to press all three rings into the grooves?

I would be afraid that when the piston was pushed into cylinder the sharp edges of rings would shave off some aluminum from the strips. That why the Merc compressors have plastic shoes. Where you located as if close will rent ya mine...

That's the way to go if you can do it--much easier. (Those Merc assembly guys would have gone Postal doing in-line sixes without the factory tools!)

Jeff

PS: No aluminum is "shaved off" with those aluminum strips. Come on now!

It also won't squeeze the rings enough so you'll end up breaking them!

Jeff

PS: That TINY bit of aluminum--as if there would be any--wouldn't hurt a thing. But, then, I've only been building all kinds of engines for 55 years so what the hell do I know!

It also won't squeeze the rings enough so you'll end up breaking them!

Jeff

PS: That TINY bit of aluminum--as if there would be any--wouldn't hurt a thing. But, then, I've only been building all kinds of engines for 55 years so what the hell do I know!

I'll stick with your advice then! Especially since I've only been tinkering with boat motors for less than a year! :cool:

I believe Mr Mercury bought an empty cow barn at one time.---------This type of factory ring compressor allowed for quick assemly of blocks in one stall.------------Cranks and pistons were set -up in another stall.---Very effective 60 years ago.---------Things are done different today.

Ever see how car engines are assembled nowadays? Somehow, a computerized robot puts virtually the entire engine together! How the rods and pistons get in there without breaking things is a marvel!

Jeff

They use tapered adapters to install pistons.------Similar to the tapered ring compressors used in assembly of Johnson / Evinrude engines.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. Bought the requisite things for this and saved about $120.

Back