Logo

gear box

Sidney

Hello,

I have a 2001 Honda 25hp. This is a lower hour motor and was sitting up for some time. I know the carbs need cleaning because it ran great until I tried to rev the motor and then started running poor.

I have a handle on the carbs, but when I was going through it I put it into forward and reverse before I started it up. Now that I ran it for 30min it will go into reverse and neutral but will not move a bit into the forward gear. I tried doing it while off as well and no luck. Any ideas?

What does the gear lube look like? If there was water in the lube, the shiftdog and associated parts may be rusted and not doing their job. (How is that for a technical theory?)

It is also possible that, if you shifted it when the motor was not running and you did not turn the prop (forcing it into or out of gear) you may have broken one of the plastic shift linkages at the front of the powerhead....or.....bent the metal shift linkage up by the shift handle on the engine (if it is a tiller). Normally, bending the linkage will cause a problem with reverse...not forward.

Mike

"DRY" shifting...moving the shift lever while the engine is off.....like Mike said...HAS to be done while SIMULTANEOUSLY turning the prop shaft to avoid forcing the parts.

It is entirely possible though that you didn't harm anything and that the shift shaft is just out of adjustment. Often, the connection between the upper shift rod (shift rod "A" item #13 ) and lower shift rod (shift rod "B" item #11) comes loose due to someone not securely tightening the jam nut against the "link nut" when tinkering around. Refer to items 12 and 38 in the parts page link below.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2001/BF25A1 LHA/WATER PUMP/parts.html

Check and see if they are locked together tightly. And, even if they are, like Mike says, the shift rods could be bent. If they are, you can easily straighten them out and go through the shift shaft adjustment procedure and possibly get "your shift" back.

"DRY" shifting...moving the shift lever while the engine is off.....like Mike said...HAS to be done while SIMULTANEOUSLY turning the prop shaft to avoid forcing the parts.

It is entirely possible though that you didn't harm anything and that the shift shaft is just out of adjustment. Often, the connection between the upper shift rod (shift rod "A" item #13 ) and lower shift rod (shift rod "B" item #11) comes loose due to someone not securely tightening the jam nut against the "link nut" when tinkering around. Refer to items 12 and 38 in the parts page link below.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2001/BF25A1 LHA/WATER PUMP/parts.html

Check and see if they are locked together tightly. And, even if they are, like Mike says, the shift rods could be bent. If they are, you can easily straighten them out and go through the shift shaft adjustment procedure and possibly get "your shift" back.

I will check both of the ideas. I feel pretty sure that I did not break plastic lever. Thank you so much for the Ideas. I think they will take care of it. I need to clean the Carbs. It ran great for 5min then started running rough. Prob Trash went through it. I expected this though.

Back