Logo

Can't steer to the left .. Please help me with this steering issue.

Dtrain

Please help me out here, I can't figure out why the boat won't steer to the left. As I steer right, the outdrive turns right, then when I turn left, the outdrive comes back to center, but will not go any further left. Is this a cable issue? The engine compartment is so tight that I'm having trouble trying to make sense of anything back there, and I'm not having any luck with schematic diagrams for the steering online. I'm stumped please help me out.

1998 Crownline 266 CCR, 7.4 MPI Merc, Bravo III outdrive.

First, have a good look in the engine room to make sure nothing is obstructing the cable/tiller bar from moving. Next step- you'll hate this:D- disconnect the cable from the tiller bar to determine if the problem is related to the helm and cable or the stern drive.

Thanks .. I'll have to check it out. Seems like it's probably pretty tough to get to, but I'll get back on here for an update as soon as I get there.

Thanks .. I'll have to check it out. Seems like it's probably pretty tough to get to, but I'll get back on here for an update as soon as I get there.

Ayuh,.... Boat Builders intentionally make it extra hard to service 'bout everything on a sterndrive driveline,...

Back