Logo

Honda BF40D

martinlongman1

My Honda BF40D intermittently cuts out and alarms when on tick over. The oil & filter & pressure sensor have been changed, and the cooling system checked. Help!

What is "tick over"? Do you mean when at idle?

You say cooling system checked --- confirmed that engine is not overheating, and you are getting cooling water out of the telltale with strong stream? (check thermostat too)

if the thermostat checks out and the water stream is good then confirm warning system not faulty corroded, stuck (e.g. trim tilt sensor)...various methods, if that all checks out then check spark while it cuts out. Also see if it always restarts; if so, how long, etc... does it cut out sooner under load, and replace plugs and retry. if you can't solve it with that, then check coil output (together with swapping coils if you have the patience), stator output, excitor and pick-up. .. if these all check out, you have to replace the cdi; it is not uncommon.

What warning lights are on and what warning lights are off, when you get the alarm?

You should have four warning lights.

Mike

o.k. i am back with tps on the fuel injected...i do not have first hand experience with this problem on the 40, but try checking for fouled plugs, air leakage or blockage anywhere in throttle and intake system (the motor depends on correct pressure reading , poor fuel supply, and possibly a problem with the idle control system

Just to double check....the green oil light is not on when the alarm occurs? If not, it indicates that there is an oil pressure or oil pressure sensor problem.

You said you changed the oil pressure sensor....did you make sure that the opening that it goes into is not plugged up with goo?

Mike

Back