Logo

1990 Yamaha Stern Drive Tilt Trim Hose removal Help!

holy1above

Contributing Member
Hi All -- I bought a boat last night. I came home from work today and the prop was down to the ground. Tilt Trim fluid had leaked out of a pin hole all over the ground. I have the arms off and have the hose off the arm, but I can't get my wrench in to loosen the bolts where they connect near the transom. Do I have to take the whole outdrive off etc.? Or is there a special tool for this?

And, does anyone know a cheaper option for replacing the hose than $174 from Yamaha? Its like a 1 ft. hydraulic hose! I didn't know until today that Yamaha sterndrives were so rare.

Thank,

Josh

Hi All -- I bought a boat last night. I came home from work today and the prop was down to the ground. Tilt Trim fluid had leaked out of a pin hole all over the ground. I have the arms off and have the hose off the arm, but I can't get my wrench in to loosen the bolts where they connect near the transom. Do I have to take the whole outdrive off etc.? Or is there a special tool for this?

And, does anyone know a cheaper option for replacing the hose than $174 from Yamaha? Its like a 1 ft. hydraulic hose! I didn't know until today that Yamaha sterndrives were so rare.

Thank,

Josh

Ayuh,.... The Yamahas are a pretty raw deal in North America,.... I hear they're popular else where on the planet,....

My Guess is, the lines can be replicated at a Hyd. Shop, I believe they're 1/8",...
Maybe a Merc line will fit, Donno, only seen a couple, from afar,...

Capt. Ken, from down Florida way is sorta the "Go to Guy" for Yamaha drives,....
He stops by iboats on occasion,... ain't seen him in here for awhile,...

Did you get the hoses that you need? We went to take our boat out this past weekend, and when we went to the storage yard, the foot was resting on the pavement. Got it up and home, now looking for options for the replacement hoses. I'll likely take them to a hose shop and see if they can replace the rubber or make all new ones. The OEM ones that I'm finiding online are over $150 each. I'd like to replace all of them, but not for $600!

x2 on Capt Ken. He's the go-to gut for these stern drives.

There's also a Google group with some common DIY suggestions:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/yamaha-sterndrives

Yes. Find a NAPA auto parts store. They made one for $22. But not every one of them does it.QUOTE=MerryO;516265]Did you get the hoses that you need? We went to take our boat out this past weekend, and when we went to the storage yard, the foot was resting on the pavement. Got it up and home, now looking for options for the replacement hoses. I'll likely take them to a hose shop and see if they can replace the rubber or make all new ones. The OEM ones that I'm finiding online are over $150 each. I'd like to replace all of them, but not for $600!x2 on Capt Ken. He's the go-to gut for these stern drives.There's also a Google group with some common DIY suggestions:https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/yamaha-sterndrives[/QUOTE]

$22 from NAPA sounds like a great deal! Mine are likely original to the boat, and one blew out just above the fitting. They were a pain to get off, but I got all four off and taken to a hydraulic hose store nearby. They are charging me $52 each to replace the hoses. I know these will be high quality super flex hose. The one that blew was the inner starboard hose, so I had to take off the outer hose to get to it. Since I had to take off two, I figured that I should replace all four. My expense will still only be slightly more than one OEM hose at retail.

Did you find a wrench that worked for you? I ended up "making" a couple wrenches. The most useful one was an offset 10mm 12-point that I cut to fit around the tubing. I'll post pics of those as well for others.

Back