Logo

Anodes

junior4597

Contributing Member
Not sure if this is really an electrical problem but seeing it has to do with electrolysis I thought it would be a good place to ask. What's the verdict on anodes - I keep my boat in fresh water in the Northeast April-October but take weekly trips through brackish water to the ocean. I know zinc is used in salt water but the boat is on a slip for the season in fresh water. Should I be using zinc or magnesium? Or even aluminum? Does it really matter? Are there any opinions out there that I should be aware of?

Any thoughts would be helpful

If its going to be floating many months and you have submerged metal, you'll need some type of anode(s) to protect that metal.

Maybe aluminum as a first guess....it really depends. The best method is to hire a corrosion spe******t who has a reference elctrode setup and will measure the enviroment at your berthing location....that will enable the selection of the "best" material. Next best choice is to ask the locals - either the yard mechanics or the boat owners in your marina...last alternative would be to experiment but that could be costly....you definitely don't want zinc anodes, that's for sure.

Do a www search on "selecting marine anodes" and I'm sure you will find several articles....

View attachment Paper on different types of Anodes.pdfI'm going to try to upload a .pdf file that does a very good job of explaining the different types of anodes, how they work, and what are the best applications. If that does not work, send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will attach the file and send it back to you.

Bottom line - Aluminum alloy anodes would probably be your best bet. HOWEVER, anodes should never be mixed - they will eat each other. So make sure that you understand what type of anodes you have on your outboard or out-drive.

Back