Logo

4 hp johnson ignition help

deryck

i have a 1978 4 hp johnson outboard (4w78e) ran great for the 4 or 5 times i ran it. it was recently rebuilt when i bought it. started running rough when going from full speed to lower speed then stalled and would not even slightly fire again. there is no spark now, i did replace spark plugs and still nothing. checked all connections and coils look brand new. the only thing i can see that is worn is the sensor assembly. is there any advice or anything else that may be causing this problem? thanks in advance! also i did attempt to test the coils from spark plug wire to coils and both had the same reading.

Sanded all connections and checked for weak/broken wires. I was able to wiggle the magneto plate tightened that up but still nothing. Could it be the pick up? It looks fairly worn. Thanks for the replies i will take a look at cdelectronics.

There is no reason for the sensor being worn unless it has been rubbing on the flywheel magnets. So maybe that has damaged it, hard to guess. If you do replace it, make sure it is adjusted for proper clearance so it doesn't happen again.

Back