Logo

Single leg Bravo III - Wander at Slow Speed Solution maybe?

3-legged-dog

Contributing Member
The boat is a 25' deep V hull, single leg bravo iii with trim tabs. issue: at idle and low speeds under plane the boat will wander right to left requiring constant attention. I have purchased and will be testing this add on in the next couple of weeks. I will report my findings. Has anybody seen or used this type of product. it is marketed as a wander fix.

Thanks
The Dog,

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 210
Ayuh,.... That looks like a drive Buster,......

Usually the cure for V-hull sterndrive wander is less operator input,.....

I would agree. however when I set my trolling lines I must keep constant attention on the wheel or the boat will try to make a 180 back over my lines this happens at near idle speeds. even when the water is flat as glass. also in no wake zones i am also working the steering wheel. if i leave the steering unattended on a heading i will end up somewhere else. i will look into swivel play pin. at plane speeds i have no issues.

This wandering issue is present on 99.99% of all merc sterndrive boats at low to idle speed........trimming up the drive makes it worse.

Not sure of any fix..........so if you find one let us know........

Ayuh,..... I agree with Jack,..... My tinbarge/ Alpha wanders all over 'ell, or down-wind if it's blowin',.....

Ya need an operator at the wheel, when yer riggin' lines, or troll down-wind,....

Ditto any play in the system per Chris above, however, some amount of "wander" is a given in any single screw deep V hull setup. I have had it in all three of my boats with a Volvo drive. Some factors that make it worse are prop pitch and drive trim. Too far out (or in) will make it worse. When set up "as good as it gets", the boat will tend to wander in the direction of prop rotation, then pause and slide back ( as the "keel like effect" of the hull takes over). Thru interitia, the boat will over correct and the process will start all over again. Any attempt to correct this with helm movements almost always make it worse as you are always correcting " too much and too late", so to say. Any amout of cross sea or wind will make it worse. Once the hull starts moving forward fast enough so that the "V" waterflow dominates the prop's crawl ( walk) in the direction of rotation, the problem will stop, however, this speed is usually too fast for some trolling and too fast for marina no wake areas. It's a deep v thing, not a particular drive issue... unless of course as posted above there is too much slop in the system. With my Volvo drive, the "slop" issues occur elsewhere.

When my boat is set up correctly and all is OK mechanically, the wander is about +/- 10 to 15 degrees. If I hold the helm so that the drive is dead straight, the boat wanders back and forth between this arc. Unless I am in a crowded marina, I usually don't have to bother correcting. There is some evidence ( I wasn't paying all that much attention), that dropping both trim tabs all the way down seems to dampen the wander somewhat. I would suspect that different hulls will behave differently. Perhaps dropping one tab and not the other will help??? Once I got used to the wander ( it intitially freaked me out), I just learned to live with it.

Last edited:
Reporting back on the low speed wandering issue I was having. My first posts shows pics of the Orca Fin installed on my drive. I have been out on the water 6x’s since the addition of the fin to the drive.

Problem:
Slow speed wander. I have a good 1 mile run @ 6mph in no wake zone from the dock. I also do a lot fishing, trolling at speeds of 2 - 5 mph. The boat is located on Chesapeake Bay and I have to deal with winds, currents and tides.

Boat:
25 ft. cruiser with single screw Bravo III Merc, 350 mag., Deep V hull with hydraulic trim tabs.

Post Operation History:
In no wake zones, drive down, trim tabs down, I would correct every 20 to 40 yards, hands near the wheel at all times. Around docks there was a lot of forward-neutral action to tie up. Trolling in open water when not at the helm and working the wheel the boat would try to circle back on my lines in maybe a 100 – 200 ft. radius (wind/tides maybe). Slow speed cruising near docks was an awfully experience.

After install:
In no wake zones, drive down, trim tabs down, I slightly correct maybe every 200 yards even with winds blowing. Trolling open water is a non-issue, the boat holds a straight line in winds and tides. I also plane faster around 3000 rpm. I have filled up 2x’s and approached the gas docks in straight lines. My own dock requires me to turn 180 in a tight space to tie up. I feel as though I am not drifting as much also. Even with winds blowing. I am also experiencing a much smoother and more confident ride than ever before. I am very pleased with the addition to the drive.

Last edited:
Back