Logo

1995 Johnson 150hp Fast Strike - dropping lower unit

joeboyd4

My 95' Johnson 150hp Fast Strike wouldn't shift. I finally got it into reverse but with great effort. The manual suggested changing the lower unit oil which i did. Nothing. So it was suggested i drop the lower unit....it's stuck! Any tricks of the trade or suggestions of 1. Getting it to drop and 2. What to do then to fix my shifting problem.

Have you got all the bolts out and the shift linkage disconnected ??
Tell me about where i would disconnect the shift linkage (unless you are talking about the shifting cables). Is it where the metal shifting rod that runs hozizontal to the engine connects to the rod going down to into the lower unit? Thanks Boobie!Still not fishing!!

There's a cir-clip on that rod on the STBD side. Pull that out and push the arm to PORT and that will disconnect the linkage.

There's a cir-clip on that rod on the STBD side. Pull that out and push the arm to PORT and that will disconnect the linkage.

THanks again Boobie! My problem is in the gear cover (small one with 5 bolts). It simply will not let the sift rod move vertically! I sprayed some Blaster on it last night and worked it in by holding the shift rod steady and twisting cover. As a result of those actons, I was able to get it up from the gear box a couple of inches but it is soooooo tight!!! Any suggestions????

Have you got the G/C off and just trying to pull the shift rod out ?? Please clarify !!

Yes, I have loosed the G/C. The shift rod is so tight that is won't allow the shift rod to move up and down (shift). The shift rod easily moves up and down (R/N/F) with the G/C screws removed. However, if you try to move the shift rod up or down throught the G/C, it won't move. So, what do I do? Does the shift rod unscrew from down in the gear box so I can get the old G/C off and then relplace the cover? Any tips on how to remove the G/C from the shift rod otherwise? I really appreciate your help!

If you have the shift rod removed from the upper linkage and all other bolts removed the complete gear case should come off, shift rod and all.

If you have the shift rod removed from the upper linkage and all other bolts removed the complete gear case should come off, shift rod and all.
Well, to get the shift rod out from inside the gear box, I need to unscrew it, according to the book. I need to get the gear cover and the shift rod apart. The rod won't slip out of the grip of the gear box cover. The gear case cover will spin on the rod but it will NOT go up and down, i.e. slide on the rod at all. I think I am going to get a machanic involved. It's just that I wanted to learn from the forum so I can do many things myself. Thanks anyway!

Unscrew the shift rod from the gear case so all you have in your hand is the shift rod and cover. Now apply some heat to the housing and PB Blaster to the rod and work the shift rod out of the housing. You may need a new housing if that one can't be repaired.

Back