Logo

Model Number information

Dracosix9

I have purchased a 1982 Peterborough with an OMC 400 stringer drive and a GM 250CID L6 for a power-plant. I'm going by the HIN for the year by the way, as I bought it through a third party not the owner and he knew nothing about the boat. The data plate on the upper leg has the model number 982565 on it. Is this the number I use to order parts? I ask as it is not a valid model number on any site I have looked at so far to order parts by. Looking to find out if there is another model number that will be somewhere for the entire assembly or not, looked over pretty much all of the rest of the drive and engine and haven't fond another one, or if someone can cross this number over to a valid model number for me. Going to attach some pictures in the morning of the drive and motor to try and narrow things down.

You have a bit of a Frankenboat there. Your drive according to that number, is a 400 series OMC hydromechanical shift that was originally powered by a 4 cylinder engine and used from 1978-1981.
The I6 engine there is from the 1970's. 1976 was the last year OMC used that inline six Chevy. Some 1982 boats have 1981 drives so that could be original.
I suspect someone wanted more power and installed that six in place of the lethargic four.

For outdrive parts, use 140FTHRCIF (1981) as the model
For engine parts, use 990227A11 (1976)

That will get you correct maintenance tune up and repair parts.

Thanks for the info Hystat. I wondered if this engine was not the original. One it looks like the front engine mounts were moved at one time and two it doesn't really fit into the engine housing very nicely, it rubs on the inside in a couple spots. Would you suggest I get both factory manuals or just buy the Seloc manual for this one?

The GM 250 cu in inline 6's were good engines. Baring no over-heating, they had a reputation for being dang near bullet proof.

However, this is an OMC stringer drive boat and you will not enjoy hearing this.
No offense... but I want to be forthright!

The Stringer Drive is not desireable. In fact, it is a drive to avoid owning.
I'd venture to say that you picked this boat up for next to nothing!

On many boats the transom is not structural... nor does it need to be for a stringer drive.
The forward thrust is placed on the stringers via the engine and engine mounting.
If the stringers were to become compromised, severe damage may occur..... including sinking the hull.

I would strongly suggest that you cut your losses now, and find a boat with a stern drive.
Or... if you love this boat, convert it to a stern drive system, while still using the GM 6 cylinder engine.

The cost of converting to a stern drive just might offset the future costs of maintaining the OMC stringer drive.

In the long run, you'll be much happier and you'll have fewer issues.

Last edited:
Seloc can sometimes be found online in pdf. Local libraries sometimes have it too. For routine maintenance it's fine. If you're going to do any repairs or more in depth work, then factory books are the only way to go.

Back