Logo

Low Idle / Idle in Gear Engine Dies Optimax 135

DavidSB

I have a 2002 Mercury Optimax 135 Saltwater Series
The engine has a low idle and frequently dies. When running the vessel as soon as I engage forward or reverse the engine dies unless I advance the throttle.
Once I throttle up the engine runs fine and has plenty of power. As soon as I return to idle ahead or astern the engine has a low idle and stalls.
This happens in neutral or in gear.
I took it to a dealer thinking it was a low engine idle and was told there was low compression and I needed to replace the powerhead for $5500.
I am thinking about taking the boat to another Mercury dealer.
If the power head needs to be replaced is it suggested to rebuild it or replace with a remanufactured powerhead.
Seems like a rebuild kit is around $850 labor cannot be that excessive so I am not sure why I was quoted $5500.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Could it be a fuel filter?

Why wouldn't you try turning up the idle speed a little yourself? You could compression test it yourself also, someone you know will own a kit I'm sure? To make sure you're not being run around by the dealer

The idle speed is set by the PCM and is not adjustable. If the power head has a cylinder that is down there is no quick fix.

I would recommend a compression test followed by a leak down test.

I know this thread was a long time ago, but please tell me the solution wasn't a new powerhead... currently experiencing the same problem.

Back