Logo

2008 HPDI 250 blown number 1 cylinder

Skeeter33

Hey guys this weekend at the lake running about 5200 rpms the boat lost power down to about 3500rpms and would not accelerate over that. I shut the engine down, then when I stated the engine it had a slight miss seemed like bad fuel, this happened on my etec so I took off to the next spot and the boat still ran sluggish, when running the engine shut off and to my worst fear number one cylinder went, put a small hole right behind the starter size of my pinky. Need less to say I am sick:( boat never never made a knock or tick just loss of power then nothing. I haven't owned the boat/ motor but a year bought used at a dealer not sure I have any warrant on the engine so.......how bad is this going to set me back guys? I seen Yamaha has power heads for these around 4k but I can only image there will be plenty of add ons like injectors sent out ect. anyone with a rough number??

Sorry to hear about your trouble, that's really bad luck. The cost will depend on a lot of things of course, and unfortunately making the repair may be more expensive than just replacing the powerhead. If the crankshaft is still good and it has just thrown a connecting rod through the block then it might be cheaper to repair, but those bits of metal will have been in there while it was running so it's not going to be pretty I'd imagine. The good news is that the motor will have lots of valuable parts in good condition (given it's age) so if you can get a powerhead from a wreckers then you can either sell or reuse all the parts from your current motor. The real answer to you question depends on how much of the work you are willing to do yourself. I just did a long series of videos on rebuilding my Yamaha 50HP and it cost me about $2000 in parts and many many hours of work. If I had paid someone to do the job the rebuild wouldn't have been worth it.

I hope it goes well for you,
Stuart

Back