Logo

92 Johsnon 40hp Tilt/Trim

99GreenStang

Hey folks I'm brand new to this forum. I just acquired a 1992 Johnson 40hp [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]J40eenm boat motor today. Well the motor runs great and looks new! Problem is the motor is stuck in the fully up position! I've never had a power tilt and trim motor and I'm unsure of what to do. I am mechanically inclined but need to know the checklist of what to do. The motor makes noise but up and down when I press the trim buttons but it does not move. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Cameron
[/COLOR]

I think it may just be stuck in the up position possibly due to air? Where is the manual release screw located? Also how do you check the fluid? Thanks! Someone please help

I see no manual release valve on this assembly. There's a giant screw at the bottom, and a smaller yet big screw above it and both are flat heads. Nothing on the sides. There's a lever on the right hand side (standing behind the motor) and two tabs above them that you can turn clockwise and counterclockwise. I just got this thing yesterday and I've never dealt with power tilt and trim and some help would be appreciated. Thanks

Okay so by turning this giant screw at the bottom of the trim assembly a bunch of hissing air came out and I proceeded to turn it more and it covered me with fluid while blowing out the screw and a spring (I'm guessing this is all that came out) the fluid was pinkish looking red. So my question now is the screw above this used to fill it? And what do I use to fill it with? Thanks.

Also the motor fell and came out of its stuck position when the screw came out lol. Now I just need to know how to fill it up and bleed it and what to use for fluid and I'll be set I'd say

I am not familiar with your engine so someone else will need to chime in; but do know that you will need to tilt the engine up and lock it up; then you need to refill the tank with Dexron II autotransmission fluid. Let others chime in on the bleeding if any of that unit.

Okay I got the fill hole screw out finally and I have put some tilt/trim fluid in it. The motor will not go up high enough manually so I can engage the locks to hold it there and the tilt trim will not take it up at all. The tilt trim will take it down though. How do I bleed this thing correctly? I have no manaual release valve just two screws. One is drain and other is fill. CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE? Cmon guys this is a repair forum for boats where people contribute not a newspaper where your read and turn the page!

Look once more and find the manual release screw.------It is in a hole with a circlip to prevent from turning it all the way out !---------Find the manual release screw !

There is no screw? There's just a giant screw in the middle bottom of the trim assembly used to drain it with the poppet spring inside and a large screw above it which is used to fill. The manual release would normally be on the side of the motor and it isn't. I'm confused and this damn site won't let me post a picture

Okay, I finally found the manual release screw. It really is hidden quite well. The bracket isn't lined up perfectly straight with the manual release screw, but I still was able to get a screwdriver on it and with A LOT of force turn it. It does not turn very far at all. Maybe 1 turn MAYBE! How much fluid does one of these motors hold? I have put 2 of the 8oz SuperTech Tilt/Trim fluid in this one already! Do I leave the fill screw open? Do I fill it when its up or down? The motor will not go up (not even manually) enough so you can engage the locks to hold it there. Also how do I work the manual release screw? Do I leave it open? Or do I close it at a certain time? Details and these questions answered would BE APPRECIATED MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE! Thanks to all of those who have already chimed in!

Thanks,

Cameron

Boobie and Racer are two of the gurus that can answer your questions they don't stay on this forum all the time so be patient and they will probably answer. Good luck.

R

You have to loosen the manual release screw at least two turns and raise it to full tilt. Then you add the fluid, tighten the screw and try it. If it works, do it again.

The manual release screw will not turn 2 turns? Also so is all the fluid I put in need to come out now or ? Did I put it in at the wrong time? Thanks!

If the engine fell down on it's own you should have no problem lifting it back up by hand.

What you need to do is raise it full up, engage the lock, and fill it via a plug that's located someplace on that assembly. Then tighten everything back up, undo the lock, trim it up/down a couple times, and raise it full up again then repeat. It will squeal a bit as the air works it's way though the system and bleeds up to the reservoir.

I highly suggest ordering a repair manual as it's going to show this sort of thing and make it real easy.

Jon

The engine did fall down on its own when I drained all the fluid that was how I got it unstuck and there was no problem in lifting it back up by hand BEFORE I filled the tilt trim with new fluid. Now I cannot lift it and the tilt trim won't lift the motor but it will lower it. So do I need to drain all the new fluid just to be able to manually lift this thing or what? And I found a free repair manual from Johnson online but it doesn't really tell you much specifics on the tilt trim or anything for that matter lol. All the help I've been getting is really appreciated! Please continue to reply so I can get this baby in the water quick! Thanks again!!!!

Back