Logo

Honda BF30D Won't Start After Fitting

R33

Hi All,

I just fitted a used 2007 Honda BF30D to my boat (power tilt/electric start with genuine Honda controls). I bought the engine from a marina along way away with a 6 month warranty so I'm sure it works and it's just something stupid I've done setting it up which is why I'm posting here first rather than calling them so I'd be very grateful if anyone can help me diagnose what I'm doing wrong.

I've installed the engine on the transom. Connected up the battery cables, installed the trim gauge and the rev counter and the controls. The only thing I haven't done yet is install the gear and throttle cables as they haven't arrived yet. The engine trim works fine from the engine switch and from the controls but when I turn the key to the second position to actually crank the engine nothing happens at all. No lights on the controls(oil/overheat) and nothing at all from the engine, no noises of any kind. I've checked the connections on all the cables and they look good, and the fuses are all OK in the engine (the 4 I have found anyway). That's about all I can say, I turn the key one step and the the trim gauge jumps into life but no lights on the controls, I turn the key to start the engine and nothing at all. The selector level on the controls is in neutral and the selector on the engine is in neutral and I can spin the prop freely.

Can you confirm that the only two cables that run directly to the battery are the two thick cables that run from the engine itself? These certainly seem to work to activate the power tilt on the engine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be please?

Happy to post pics and any other supporting info that could be of help.

Thanks in advance............

Yes, only the two cables go to the battery.

The lights will not come on when you turn the key switch to on. The green light will come on after the motor runs and the red will come on if it overheats.

It sounds like you have 12v up to the keyswitch...since the trim gauge works.

Since the motor is in neutral, then the neutral safety switch should be in the proper position.

If you do not have one, download this owner's manual which has a wiring diagram at the back of it. http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/31ZW2602.pdf

There is a black/white lead that goes from the keyswitch back through the 14 pin plug on the engine...through the neutral safety switch....then through the crossconnect panel on the port side to the starter solinoid.

The first place to check would be the 14 pin connector at the engine. Take the connectors back apart and check the pins. One may have been pushed back. Then reconnect until it clicks (be sure it is closed all the way).

If that does not fix it, you will just have to follow the wire from the switch, check the connections and make sure that it has 12v on it when you turn the key switch to on.

Mike

Well Mike, you are quite literally "THE MAN"!

After quite a bit of digging round the engine and following wires I discovered the neutral safety switch which was unbolted and totally disconnected. After a bit of puzzling about where it should go I worked it out and fitted it. I reconnected all the cables and bolts and installed the new control cables that arrived today. Next I connected up the fuel tank, gave it a pump, turned it over for 20 seconds and hey presto, it ran perfectly and now starts first time every time.

Thank you so much, I'd never have done it without you.

Here's to a summer of family boating thanks to you :)

Back