Logo

Spins without spark plugs. Wont spin with plugs installed. 96 SLP 112 HP

Stephen Houmard

My 1996 Johnson 112hp slp was froze up/ stiff. A little lube( BP BLASTER) in the cylinders and it started to turn freely with the pull rope. I can spin the unit with a pull rope and or the starter with no problems with out he plugs inserted. When the plugs are installed I can not get the starter to turn the flywheel and or pull with the rope What is going on? Stuck valves? What to do? Is there a FOGGER that would free everything?:confused:

I had light brown fluid in the cylinders, I think there is water in the tank from a leak in a gasket . I switched to a three gallon portable tank with new gas,

Clean thoroughly the end terminals and the components they attach to of "all" cables and wires pertaining to the electric starter, including the battery terminals ans the ground cable at the powerhead.

A slightly loose or tight but dirty (corrosion) terminal will result in a voltage drop.

To test the starter itself.... run good known jumper cables from a good fully charged battery directly to the starter. If the problem continues to exist, the electric starter will require looking at.

Clean thoroughly the end terminals and the components they attach to of "all" cables and wires pertaining to the electric starter, including the battery terminals ans the ground cable at the powerhead.

A slightly loose or tight but dirty (corrosion) terminal will result in a voltage drop.

To test the starter itself.... run good known jumper cables from a good fully charged battery directly to the starter. If the problem continues to exist, the electric starter will require looking at.

Thank you for the reply.
It wouldn't turn with the ROPE unless the plugs were removed. I have so much oil it wont compress. The exhust ports are also cloged with oil. I broke out the SEA FOAM and sprayed it inside each cylinder and it helped. I only have on piston giving me trouble with the plug in.
Thanks.

Thank you for the reply.
It wouldn't turn with the ROPE unless the plugs were removed. I have so much oil it wont compress. The exhust ports are also cloged with oil. I broke out the SEA FOAM and sprayed it inside each cylinder and it helped. I only have on piston giving me trouble with the plug in.
Thanks.

sounds like you may have bigger problems than excess oil in the cyls. the exhaust ports will dump a bucket of oil in short order.

Back