Logo

low rpms/ low oil pressure

ecr

have 85 454 that is not going above 2300 rpms. install new fuel pump ,using lead free gas have done the engine timing, the bottom Is clean, and last time that i went out, once that I got it up to 2300 rpm, oil pressure drops to around 15 lbs. this engine was over haul last year , but it has never run right.will appreciate any help

have 85 454 that is not going above 2300 rpms. install new fuel pump ,using lead free gas have done the engine timing, the bottom Is clean, and last time that i went out, once that I got it up to 2300 rpm, oil pressure drops to around 15 lbs. this engine was over haul last year , but it has never run right.will appreciate any help

does the timing advance with increased engine RPM? If so, what RPM does is max out at? Oil pressure should be higher than that (@ 2300 anyhow)...did you check it with a mechanical gauge?

you are right on this engine. we will be doing comp. test this weekend ,and replacing the oil but i think I may be looking at a new engine if it all fails. will see what happens

this weekend i have some body coming in to check timing again ,and do comp test and yes to mechanical gauge. it was tested and that is the pressure around 15 lbs .so I have two problems one is low rpms and the other one is low pressure, i think it looks like i may have to rebuilt this engine again

There are many ways people define "rebuilt" engine. Who did the rebuild and what was done? Any warranty left? 15 psi oil pressure is of course very low so it indicates poor bearing clearances or bad oil pump. Hope it works out well in the end.

thanks I hope so too. I am leaning to the oil pump screen been clog. the pump is new. but then again if this engine was rebuilt, and I am sure it was , where is this debris or dirt coming from, to plug the screen at the pump? changed oil and filter at 50 hours or maybe it is just a bad pump am dealing with.

I'd say get another oil and filter change and hope that does it. If not, add some Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Very good stuff.

Jeff

yes . I am trying that, with the new oil change and adding the Lucas, to see if it will help. I will try anything short of pulling the engine off again. thanks, I will let you know

Back