Logo

5.7 350xl starter problem

Billybobs

I have a 1997 shamrock with a 5.7 350xl crusader. The problem is the starter keeps running even after the motor is run , if I turn the key switch off it still is trying to start. I then cut the yellow/red wire and starter will stop running , this happens here and there not all the time

what I have replaced

new key switch
new starter unit
new alt

funny thing i have found ,someone before me ran a wire from the starter to the key switch looks to me that there was a problem before

there is a relay on the motor can this be the problem?

Anyone have any idea ?

Ayuh,.... I donno how Crusaders are wired, but most boat motors have a slave solenoid at the motor, which the key activates,.....

When the slave solenoid is activated by the key, it powers the starter's solenoid, the inside tiny lug, usually red/ yellow wire,...

My guess is the slave solenoid is where to look,.....

The blue motors have the slave solenoid...unless somebody removed it....if somebody has modified the wiring and you have problems, I'd suspect the mod was not correct or the diagnosis that caused the mod was wrong....I'd go thru the wiring with a fine tooth comb.

So I by pass the neutral safety switch and I think the slave solenoid boat is fixed for now it seems , so in going to order a safety switch and slave solenoid, and try again, I want to put it back to factory but I don't know what they cut

the neutral safety switch only blocks the flow of current; it doesn't source it. did you get a new starter or a rebuilt one?

I was thinking the safety switch was back feeding some how , the old factory starter was doing the same thing . I replaced it with a new starter not rebuilt. But the funny thing is , it will sometimes go a few days with not acting up and then out of the blue it does it again.

I have a 1997 shamrock with a 5.7 350xl crusader. The problem is the starter keeps running even after the motor is run , if I turn the key switch off it still is trying to start. I then cut the yellow/red wire and starter will stop running , this happens here and there not all the time

what I have replaced

new key switch
new starter unit
new alt

funny thing i have found , someone before me ran a wire from the starter to the key switch looks to me that there was a problem before

there is a relay on the motor can this be the problem?

That would likely be the slave soleniod, and yes it is very possibly the problem!
If the slave is not letting go of the starter motor solenoid circuit, returning the key switch from "start" to "run" is not going to do it!

So I by pass the neutral safety switch and I think the slave solenoid boat is fixed for now it seems , so in going to order a safety switch and slave solenoid, and try again, I want to put it back to factory but I don't know what they cut
the neutral safety switch only blocks the flow of current; it doesn't source it.
Agreed! This is not where your problem is.

I was thinking the safety switch was back feeding some how , the old factory starter was doing the same thing . I replaced it with a new starter not rebuilt. But the funny thing is , it will sometimes go a few days with not acting up and then out of the blue it does it again.
A faulty slave solenoid may do this intermittently.
If so, a back feed of current will make it's way to the neutral safety switch, and if closed, it will make it's way to the key switch "S" terminal.... which actually poses no problem intrinsically.

These slave solenoids are inexpensive, so you may as well replace it.

Bad ignition switch?
Jeff

Billybobs says:

new key switch
new starter unit
new alt

Well I got both parts this afternoon, so I will install them tomorrow, the down fall to all of this is , some times it goes a month before acting up again.... Thank you for all your help and I will keep you posted

Well, since you have the parts, it won't hurt to put them on....hopefully, that will go smoothly.

If it does, try the wiggle test..along the wire harness from the starter back to the key switch...you can also 'tap' on solenoids and switch housings...

Back