Logo

5.0 TKS 220hp carbspark plugs

Jackopo89

Hi guys,
I'm writing from Italy and I've just bought a used Mercury Mercruiser stern-drive (alpha) V8 5.0 TKS carburated engine Model Year 2011 220 hp. Engine serial number starts with 06M.. Now I'd like to know which are the correct spark plugs for my engine.. from database on the web I found that the OEM set is AC 41-933 (Acdelco) but now I would like to fit my engine with NGK spark plugs because in Italy I can find them easily. Can somebody tell me the relative code of my NGK spark plugs? On the web I find that PTR4B-15 (NGK) are the corresponding one to AC 41-933.
I would like to avoid non Platinum spark plugs as the web say (on web I find that BPR6EFS are good for my engine but they are not made of Platinum).
Last question, which is the correct gap of the elecrode for my carburated engine?

I can buy even sparks with higher gap and then I will adjust it by myself.

Thanks very much

Many thanks for the reply. What about gap? On website I found this sheet:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ROCKETBOAT/2008-12-09_042519_SPARK.pdf
It seems that on carb engines the electrode gap has to be 0.045 in instead of 0.060 of the stock spark plug. Do you confirm the 0.045 in gap on carb engines?
Sorry but I haven't got any manual.
And what about manuals... Is true that my TKS engine hasn't got a specific manual and so are necessary both #31 and #41 manuals?

thanks

Manual 31 is the manual with the specifications.

Manual 41 is just for the carb.

so .045" is the gap for a non platinum spark plug

The .060" would be for the Platinum plugs only.

Last edited:
One thing to note is

Most platinum plugs come PRE GAPPED....so there is no need to gap them only check and confirm.

Ok thanks.
what about the manuals, on #31 I can find technical data of 5.0 MPI but not of my TKS. If I wanted to have a table similar to the one of the MPI present in manual #31 where are listed fo example horse power, igntion sequence, igniton timing and so on.... Which manual have I to get?

thanks

Best regards

I've just bought 8 NGK BPR6EFS but they are gapped to 0,030 in. My engine (5.0 220 hp carb) wants 0,045 in gap, right? Can I gap them to the correct 0,045 in or is too much for my electrode?

Thanks

Back