Logo

Help with part numbers would be appreciated

david_ray

Regular Contributor
1997 Sea Ray 240 Sundeck with Mercruiser raw water cooled 5.7L EFI Alpha.

Need to replace the leaking water circulation pump and the aged serpentine belt, but having confusion over part numbers of what I have versus those available in current online catalogs from this and other sites. Got a lot of 'not available' when searching. I have a lot of original manuals for this boat, but the original Mercruiser part numbers are not given for reference.

The serpentine belt has id of "57-807755-2 DF" printed on it. It is useable for now but needs replacement soon. Cannot find a matching label part, so updated part number/source needed.

The circulation pump is needed now and has cast numbering imprinted on it of "10108455". This may be just a casting number or a real part number. Looking at catalog pictures, the closest appearance match I find is Sierra 18-15116, however this is listed for a v6, not the v8 that I have. Many of the pumps shown for my engine have drastically different shapes.

I though this was going to be a simple task, but it is getting frustrating trying to determine the correct parts to order. I just don't want to end up with wrong parts and having to fight exchanges/time etc.

Will appreciate any assistance you can provide. Perhaps many of these parts are interchangable, but I do not have such knowledge to risk at this time.

Since your original belt number is 57-8077552 the new pulley kit that you'll need for your engine is part number 57-861758A1. The original number used to fit V6 and V8 305/350 cid with plastic P/S pulley. The new kit will come with a new 57-861758A 1 will now come with a Replacement Belt/Pulley Kit that Contains a 5-3/4 in. (146 mm) pulley and longer belt.

All your water pump options can be found inside the following link under item #11, http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...thru-0k999999/intake-manifold-and-front-cover

The info for the belt can be found inside this link, http://www.boatfix.com/merc/PBullet/98/pb98_01.pdf

If you don' want to mess with changing the pulley around then you'll have to walk your old belt into an auto store such as NAPA and have them match one up size wise.

Hope this helps, good luck.

boat_tech -- Thank you for the rapid and informative reply. Just what I needed to know. I will follow through with order this afternoon (after Easter service this morning). While I am curious about why the PS pulley replacement, that is relatively low importance since I will be needing the replacement size anyway now. I pulled all the old parts yesterday and drained the engine oil, so will be standing on my head this afternoon to replace the oil filter - durn, that thing is really buried in this hull.

While I am curious about why the PS pulley replacement, that is relatively low importance since I will be needing the replacement size anyway nowl.
They were having a problem with the plastic pulleys cracking/disintegrating at RPM so they had to switch to a metal style pulley and to make that happen they had to switch sizes.

Thank you again for the latest info. Could not find a current length belt in surrounding area, so ordered via phone from Marine Service today. Have ordered the new-size pulley/belt kit 57-861758A 1, and the circulation pump 18-3599 for the engine with composite front cover. Parts may arrive Friday or Monday so I should be back in business in about a week. Can always wash the boat while time passes...

I must apologize for an error in my last post. I typed a source for my purchase which is wrong.. I just screwed up and do not know whether such a named company exists at all! I meant to say I ordered from the company which thankfully sponsors this forum -- MarineEngine.com. I had clicked on the phone contact link given at the top of the page, the call was promptly answered, and the sales assistant checked to be sure I was ordering the correct parts.
So, thank you to MarineEngine.com.

Back