Logo

7.5 Oil and gunk coming out breather tube

jduck1

Contributing Member
Got 2nd of 3 project motors all put together and running today. This motor is a CDI BF75 (7.5hp). Cleaned the carb, new fuel lines, change from long to short shaft so it has new water tube and seals, lower unit new seals and impeller, new plugs. Hasn't ran for several years. Today I changed the oil, hooked up the gas, and 2 pulls of the cord and it was running in the 55 gal barrel. Idles and revs up on down all was good. Left in neutral and then let it run at a higher rpm for 2-3 min. Water still cool, no smoke, sounded good, and then a couple tablespoons of oily/watery gunk (dirt/bees/etc) came out of the breather tube that comes from the breather housing and exits under the carb through a grommet and outside the motor housing. I killed the motor and then stared it back up. This time I got a little more oli/water and then after 30 sec. a drop or two every now and then.

Any ideas or further steps to take?

No idea. Just got it 2 months ago and was told it had been in the garage for several year not used.

I just went and blew air back through the water pee hose. With a new impeller I thought the output was a little week. Might have internally blew something out as I have great pressure now. No more anything coming from the breather tube. Still starts on first pull and sound great. Maybe just old gunk that need to get purged? I think i might give it a sea foam treatment?

Am I missing something or you think it's ok to continue?

Back