Logo

transom repair required

inreeltime

Hi all,
I was having my twin 200's removed for repower on my Grady and my mechanic noticed that I may have a compromised transom. He had his fiberglass guy come out and look at it and he told me that it was completely compromised and that it was going to cost over 2100,00 . My question is ,,, does this seem to be a fare estimate or should I just buy another hull and repower to it,. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks Bill

Totally agree with the above. Pull out the back section of the deck and check everything. That way, you will not be throwing good money after bad. If all is otherwise in good shape, the $2100 sounds reasonable to me.

Thats alot of work and for twin 200s you want it done right. Has your mechanic done a complete survey of the rest of the structure under the deck and deck? It would be a shame to have the transom done and then have the deck give you trouble! You want to remove/replace all the dryrot at the same time.
Removed the second transoms inner core was completely rotten, deck and stringers were found to be ok.. Did some searching online and found a new product that has been used in boat manufacturing for years . They now sell to the public in a DIY kit . It is a 3 part liquid core called TRK-2000. They are overnighting me a sample. I will keep you all up dated. Thank you al or your feedback.

Hi All,
Again thanks for all the advice …. I was able to find a fairly new company that sold a DIY transom repair Kit. They walked through the whole repair via Skype and they sold me all the materials that I require to complete my transom repair .

What a really awesome product with a company to back it. They were able to ship my repair kit overnight due to the no hazmat restrictions, I mean they sent me everything even fiberglass. The only item they weren't able to ship me overnight was the resin witch I picked up a gallon of 3M at home depot with hardener. We gutted the transom on Saturday applied the kit the same day .

Re fiber glassed the cap on the back on ,made filler with the powdery stuff they provided and picked and only had to pick up a qt of Awl Craft 2000 at West marine . I have to tell ya with their Skype system and with a knowledgeable fiberglass engineer right there It turned out pretty good , I mean a couple of runs in the paint which my motors covered anyway other than that the job looks pretty damn good and the repair was right around 1000 my mechcanic swapped them for free for swap of the 2 blown 200s that were on the boat when we started.

Here are some of the pic from my DIY transom repair on my 9925 Grady White... Took her out and ran her hard everything looks good so far. You guys really 20150109_224857_resized.jpg20150109_231803_resized.jpg20150110_004057_resized.jpg20150302_171437_resized.jpg20150110_015332.jpg20150121_170511.jpgneed to check out this product ,I am getting another smaller kit to repair a soft spot in my deck.

I also told them about this awesome forum and i think they are going to Join and offer transom advice.. I have to say they really helped me I couldn't and wouldn't of done this repair without them.. And i have to say It was really quite interested and gratifying to be able to take part in the repair of my own boat.. Plus it saved me a bundle ...
smile.gif

Well anyway thank you all for everything ,,next pics are gonna be some fish that I land,, Heres the website for anyone that is interested.
www.transomrepairkit.com.

Thanks ,Bill

What was the name of the stuff you poured in? I redid my transom with Arjay a ceramic pourable compound it it has been holding my twin honda 200s nicely.

Back