Logo

Do they make shaft extension kits for outboards

J

John Mathews

" I have a '67 Evinrude 60

" I have a '67 Evinrude 60hp, and thanks to this board (and Joe) I've got it running great now. Turns out the orginal Force motor had a very long shaft and the Evinrude motor sits too high at the prop depth.

I was looking at the lower end of the motor, and it seems that one could extend the prop depth without too much fuss; Was a kit ever made to do this, and does anyone know where I could go to look for one?
Thanks. "

" John,

No idea on t

" John,

No idea on the "kit", but I think they did that with smaller outboards, by using a longer shaft and an extension of the exhaust housing.

Here's another solution: If that boat has enough space above the water line, to drop the engine 5 inches, without submerging it, you could mount the engine lower on the transom. They make motor mounts (under $90) that bring the engine off the transom. Using the right setup as such, you can mount the engine away and below the transom. Just another idea, good luck,

Jon "

the cavitation plate on the l

the cavitation plate on the lower unit should be flush with the bottom of the boat. maybe the old one was too long.

Do you know for a fact that m

Do you know for a fact that motor mounts can be had for an OB for under $90? I have a kicker for my jonboat and was told that I would have to spend a lot of money to get any type of bracket or motor mount. Thanks.

Back