Logo

Inactive Fiberglass Core Stringer Weep Holes

GerryMartin

I have a 1973, 19' Penn Yan Imperial outboard. Along side of the stringers is an inactive core structure. The inactive core structure has perferated weep holes for each chamber leading to the center of the inactive core. There is one hole on port and starboard which drains the core structure to the bildge. I am replacing the 3/4" stringers with 12' stringers fabricated with 2 layers of 3/8 marine meranti. The stringer will have 3 coats of epoxy and secured with fiberglass epoxy. There will be a 1/4 inch thick closed cell foam tape between the hull and the stringer to prevent "HARD SPOTS".
I intend to use liquid closed cell flotation foam (USCG approved, of course) under the plywood deck. In order to prevent the foam from seaping into the core, I would need to mask the perferated holes which would defeat the purpose of the holes. I would appreciate advice on the correct way to do this. Thanks for any help with this. -Gerry

Ayuh,..... I believe in limber holes,....

Every point in the entire hull, should drain to the pumpable bilge by gravity alone,.....
If the water can't drain, it will, eventually, leach into the foam,....
If the hull can drain, water don't sit, 'n everything don't rot as quickly,....

That's why I prefer cut strips of foam board,... It drains all by itself,....

Ayuh,..... I believe in limber holes,....

Every point in the entire hull, should drain to the pumpable bilge by gravity alone,.....
If the water can't drain, it will, eventually, leach into the foam,....
If the hull can drain, water don't sit, 'n everything don't rot as quickly,....

That's why I prefer cut strips of foam board,... It drains all by itself,....

Thank you for the response. Strips of foam board makes sense, I will look into purchasing some.

Back