Logo

2012 Honda 150 wont start

Motor has run flawlessly for 216 hours in two seasons.

started it up Sunday with the gas in tank. The Racor had no water in it but drained it anyway. Gas had stabilizer in it. Was a little off color after winter in Maryland. Ran it on the hose at idle for about 6-8 minutes ( I didnt time it). It started a bit rough but then it worked it all out and was purring.

We are adding electronics (Garmin 1040 and a new ducer and NMEA 2000, radar.) Later int he day, I was testing the NMEA connection to the motor. Started the motor up and it was showing fuel use, voltage, rpm, oil pressure on the Garmin. During that idle the motor coughed bit and then shut off.

we checked and drained the VST, cleaned that filter (have to order another one). Im trying to get it in for service but the shop is busy (Hilton in Delaware - I love Tom and Sam).

At some point, my friend gary that checked the VST got a five second run and then it died again.

so I doubt it is electrical

last night I had my buddy hit the switch and heard the fuel pump spin up

all fuses are fine. new fuel too. It just wont fire. I love hondas so Im sure its something simple. I didnt think that fuel was bad enough to go muck up the injectors???? and would that cause a NO fire at all situation??

Dave

Motor has run flawlessly for 216 hours in two seasons.

started it up Sunday with the gas in tank. The Racor had no water in it but drained it anyway. Gas had stabilizer in it. Was a little off color after winter in Maryland. Ran it on the hose at idle for about 6-8 minutes ( I didnt time it). It started a bit rough but then it worked it all out and was purring.

We are adding electronics (Garmin 1040 and a new ducer and NMEA 2000, radar.) Later int he day, I was testing the NMEA connection to the motor. Started the motor up and it was showing fuel use, voltage, rpm, oil pressure on the Garmin. During that idle the motor coughed bit and then shut off.

we checked and drained the VST, cleaned that filter (have to order another one). Im trying to get it in for service but the shop is busy (Hilton in Delaware - I love Tom and Sam).

At some point, my friend gary that checked the VST got a five second run and then it died again.

so I doubt it is electrical

last night I had my buddy hit the switch and heard the fuel pump spin up

all fuses are fine. new fuel too. It just wont fire. I love hondas so Im sure its something simple. I didnt think that fuel was bad enough to go muck up the injectors???? and would that cause a NO fire at all situation??

Dave

also, the VST only drained about 1/2 oz of fuel when we drained it....

Can you hear fuel pump working sound,when you switch on ?open VST drain screw and pump the fuel(it should be free flow),remove some more fuel.check again all the fuses by using multimeter, open spark plugs and inspect,maybe those are bad coz of old fuel.
it seems to be fuel problem,Honda BF150 is very good engine,not much problems and all can fix easily.

wajira

Remove inlet fuel pipe to VST and press the prime pump and see whether it is free flow,if the fuel supply is ok,open VST and check may be the float needle stuck ,check air VST air vent pipe also. (VST drain screw is not same as other engine,it got small pipe.sometime this also get clogged ) However it should be free fuel flow to VST and should fill some more fuel into it . How much fuel drain from VST ?

wajira

Yep - you should get a lot more fuel than that out of the VST, so as Wajira suggested, you may have a stuck needle valve in there or a malfunctioning float. While you are back there, check/replace the high pressure fuel filter.

so before I had the trouble, we ran the motor about 6-8 mins at idle. I suspect it ran off the fuel in the VST. After it stalled we then did some diags and that when we opened the VST and maybe 1/2 oz came out. Fuel is flowing to VSP inlet - I checked that yesterday. i guess it has to come off now.

I have to find the o rings and gasket. thanks - will advise how we do.

would a stuck float be a warranty item or something they say is fuel related?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...r/BF150AK2 XCA/FUEL PUMP FUEL HOSE/parts.html

Im trying to find the fuel hose hi pressure side collar O-rings and cannot find a part number. My motor is a 2012 S/N BANJ 1304217

it says something like E14 in this page above...

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H.../BF150AK2 XCA/VAPOR SEPARATOR ASSY/parts.html

and on here item 16, 41, 19, and 50 VSP o ring, hi pres filter, o ring, and service o ring.

Only o rings,but i dnt think so it has to replace,those o rings can re use, Only high pressure filter o ring should replace with the filter.remove all tubes connect to VST and open 3 bolts,it will come off.forum.jpg

wajira

if not damage any o rings,You require 41 and 19 only,i had open this many times and sometimes only i replace those o rings(only if damage) but 19 you cant re use.

Take things in the necessary order.
Check fuel from the incoming hose to the engine first.
Then check if it still comes out the feed hose to the vst while pressing the bulb pump.
Then check from vst to electric pump and through fuel high pressure filter and to fuel rail.
Then check the vacuum controlled regulator which returns excess to vst.
It could be an issue with hoses or the mechanical pump.
I don't have a 150 I have the 130, but I believe the same principles apply to both engines.

If you are going to do your own maintenance and your own troubleshooting, the official Helm Shop Manual is worth every penny you pay for it.

thanks. I just ordered the manual. $114 plus 8 tax. I plan to have this motor for a while lol

I got my SCS cable for 20 bucks and 5 dollars shipping. I cant find the place int eh manual where it says what to do with it. I was hoping to get an error code.

meanwhile, Im waiting on parts and the manual. Happy Easter

It should be in the front of the "trouble-shooting" chapter. However, send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will return the procedure for getting fault codes from your MIL light on your key switch using the service connector.

thx chawk yesterday I cleaned the car, replaced bulb, greased the bearings on trailer 4 pm I couldn't take it anymore

pulled off the hoses n elec and vst pump assy

opened six vst screws and sure enough that float was stuck in hard two chunks of something like

salt crystal or sugar lump on the edges of float

cleaned it up and put it all back w same gaskets

fired up and runs like a top

parts n manual on the way anyway

much easier than the manual makes it seem too

thanks guys

Yep - it's not a big deal. However, I always use new gaskets. So get that one replaced as soon as possible. I would still change out the high pressure fuel filter anyway. Those things seem to fail a lot, even when not in use.

I’m goin through this same scenario right now guys. I have been through the works trying to figure it out. I found out I had fire and followed the fuel all the way to the top of the mechanical fuel pump. Got stumped for a long time, check air lines, drained vst blew on everything, clean fuel going in every where…… until I pulled the very next line where the m pump line goes out and in the vst to fill it. Brown pressurized fuel exploded out of this line. I blew on the top vst fuel inlet, nothing would go into the tank. That’s when I searched “vst fuel inlet clogged” I WISH I FOUND THIS SITE SOONER! Thanks Guys! About to take the top off this cat and check that float!

Back