Logo

1979 Johnson 6hp running rough (Fuel pooling in choke area)

FishyBC

Contributing Member
I have been gone through this and I have good "5/16" spark out of both coils so I'm guessing it's not electrical.
It will run forever at about 2/3's throttle in neutral but if I try to put it in gear it bogs and dies and if I try to slow it down to an idle it also dies.
I noticed that there is fuel building up in the front throat of the carb just under the choke butterfly.

Why would it do that ?

I did pull, soak overnight in solvent, clean and blow out with carb cleaner and blow out every orifice with compressed air. I did remove and clean the orifice plug.
It's like it's running super rich yet it runs perfect at 2/3's throttle ????

6hp-Carb-Issue.jpg
See arrow for location of pooling fuel

Is fuel spraying back out the carb when running? That would be a faulty reed valve. Did you replace the float needle and seat? Exactly how are you adjusting the slow needle?

It is spraying out of the front. I don't see any spraying out the back. I put the slow needle in so it was firmly closed and opened 1 1/2 turns out. I then adjusted it so it was probably between 1 1/4 and one turn open.

I will get a different compression gauge as the one I tried is not working properly and only showing 25 lbs on both cylinders on 2 different motors.
More to come.

I realize this was a long time go but I thought I'd close it off since I did find that the answer is what was recommended above.
The reed valve has 2 leafs and one was missing. I replaced it which is not a difficult thing to do, put everything back together and it started 2nd pull and runs awesome.
My delay on this was dealing with the starter. I could not get the spring to catch on the bottom of the rewind.
Also straight forward once you think about it. I just had to pull the spring down further so it would catch the notch and once it did I followed Joe Reeve's explaination on how to spool the pull cord back up.
Worked like a charm. Thank you Joe and all.
Time to go catch some fish !

Back