Logo

72 100 horse just quit.

phawk

my 72 100 horse has set up for several years. I changed the plugs crained the gas tank but forgot the fuel line so it fouled the plugs. I drained the line cleaned the plugs hooked up the muffs to the spicket and cranked the motor. it cranked and i ran it on the high idle to burn off the excess fuel. it ran for maybe a minute or two and shut down like i had turned of the key. I checked the fuel pump and its working fine. I checked fire and it looks great. After trying to crank it several times i checked the plugs and they are dry, like I'm getting no fuel. I know the fuel pump is working, so I'm thinking crank seals or reed. I'm leaning to crank seal but would like a more experienced opinion. is there a way to check without pulling the engine down?
thanks
Pat

Reeds do not fail all of a sudden.----------Crank seals do not fail al of a sudden, there is more than one seal.--Motor would still fire and run with one bad seal.---------------Remove flywheel and clean and inspect distributor cap and rotor.-----Inspect anti reversing spring.-----------Check all electrical connections.

Check carbs to see if they have fuel....or squirt so in throats and see if it will hit.
you were right, squirted some fuel in carb and it not only fired but ran. it did sputter a little but after 30 or 40 seconds cought up and ran great. I used carb cleaner on the carbs and squirted it into the jets, I guess some was in the carb bowls and priming it pulled it through the system After running it a little I I tested out the gear case by running it a little. it went into forward fine dropped into neutral but when I put it in reverse the motor died. it blew the 20 amp main fuse. So I checked around a bit and found that when in reverse both the green and blue wires were hot. is this correct or do I have a problem. just So you know after sitting up for about 8 years I just took the foot off and took it to a marine mechanic to reseal and after re-installing it encountered these problems. the Johnson manuel I have shows a series of tests but I not sure the guy that wrote it speaks english. You guys make sense with what you say and your directions work.

For reverse both solenoids are energized.-------Sounds like the blue wire was pinched when you installed the lower unit.------------------Bench test on it is to connect the gearcase to ground.-------------Then energize the green wire with 12 volts positive.---------Turn driveshaft quickly with a vicegrip on the spline ( protected with cardbard ) and it should be in neutral after about one turn.-----------Connect both green and blue and you should have reverse in about 2 turns.

For reverse both solenoids are energized.-------Sounds like the blue wire was pinched when you installed the lower unit.------------------Bench test on it is to connect the gearcase to ground.-------------Then energize the green wire with 12 volts positive.---------Turn driveshaft quickly with a vicegrip on the spline ( protected with cardbard ) and it should be in neutral after about one turn.-----------Connect both green and blue and you should have reverse in about 2 turns.
Thanks for the QUICK reply! I have not taken the lower unit of as off yet but it does shift into neutral but not reverse. the green wire shows about 5 ohms to ground, the blue wire shows about 1 ohm to ground which I suppose goes right in line with the blue wire being pinched. I'll pull it off and check the wire to see if I can see a pinched spot.
thanks,
Pat

Back